Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Day 63, Wagon Ho...

I have been planning a trip North to Seattle for some time. Come late November I'll be an uncle again and have been looking forward to meeting my new nephew and celebrating his brothers third birthday. And, rather than hop on a flying bus for the trip the idea of a train ride took root. I have never taken a train and in my research I learned of the "Sleeperette" - a little room for sleeping and relaxing in private. Well, how fun is that? The train leaves San Francisco at about ten at night and arrives in Portland at about four the next afternoon. And I believe the scenery en route is spectacular. I could continue on to Seattle but as I have never experienced Portland I wanted to stay a couple of nights as a mini vacation in a vacation. After much searching I discovered a great hotel downtown near the Pearl district. I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to the time away from work and worries and just relaxing and decompressing and exploring another city.

What does all this have to do with quiting smoking and Chantix? When I started all this I was still smoking. I can't tell you how I dreaded the idea. I wanted to take the train and have a weekend in Portland but one thought continuously ran through my mind: "How can I possibly survive the train trip?" The train is non-smoking and the only chance of having a cigarette is during stops when there is a designated smoking area. Not all stops or platforms allow smoking, according to my research. Well, I was dumbfounded and almost fearful of the idea. Not have a cigarette when I wanted or needed one? On vacation? On a train? I couldn't do it. I wouldn't.

But now I am.

Fifty three days smoke free and $398.00 more in the 401(k).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I started Chantix today! I started a blog for readers to track my progress and for myself to reflect upon how I've felt throughout the process.

Best of luck to everyone! Read up on my progress here: http://www.jasonlutjen.com/blog/

bob m said...

Chris, I know exactly what you mean about the train ride. I took a train in 2003 from Philadelphia to New Orleans (26 hours). My friends and I had 2 bedrooms side-by-side that the Amtrak attendant opened up into a suite. It was great! Back then, you could still smoke in a very tiny lounge during certain hours of the day. I will never forget my smoker friends and I rushing to smoke, and how our non-smoking friends complained of how much we REEKED when we got back! I am on day 12 as a non-smoker. I started Chantix 10/7 with a quit date of 10/14. I actually quit on 10/11 and so far have had great success. Congratulations and best wishes for continued success!

MamaFlo said...

What a wonderful trip and even better by the fact that you aren't smoking and don't have to worry about when you can have one. You can sit back and enjoy the beauty of your surroundings - take lots of photos (can you post photos on these blogs)?
Have a wonderful trip - you've more than earned it!
Congratulations Chris!!!!

Chris said...

Thanks all...

I'll chronicle my trip and post with pix in December. Looking forward to it!

Anonymous said...

Chris, I'd be more than happy to give you tips on the stuff you have just got to see while in Portland since it's all fresh in my mind of late having been entertaining visitors. If things work out, maybe we could even meet for a coffee somewhere. Just email me (links on my blog).

Going on a trip without worrying about the smoking thing is awesome. So is just going to a movie. Amazing what slaves we were to our addiction.