Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Day 28, What A Pain...

Eighteen days smoke free, most of which I have been sick with a flu or nasty cold. I am finally shaking the sinus blockage and pressure and now something completely different is ailing me. I feel like a quarterback who was blindsided and got sacked. You know, one of those big guys puts his head down and crushes his shoulder into your ribcage. I have near constant pain in my left side. When I breath deeply or sneeze or cough or move suddenly - whamo! Real, serious pain. There is no bruising to indicate injury. I didn't fall down and go boom over the weekend. So where the heck is this coming from? I hope it is not a side effect cause I am happy with the results. Still I did look up some information from the Pfizer site and found this tucked away in the "full prescribing information" for doctors:

MUSCULOSKELETAL AND CONNECTIVE TISSUE DISORDERS. Frequent:Arthralgia, Back pain, Muscle cramp, Musculoskeletal pain, Myalgia.

Huh, sounds familiar. Now I am not going to jump to any conclusion but...

Also from the same document:

GENERAL DISORDERS AND ADMINISTRATION SITE CONDITIONS. Frequent:Chest pain, Influenza like illness, Edema, Thirst.

How many of us have experienced Influenza like illness? And I find the disclaimer interesting:

Following is a list of treatment-emergent adverse events reported by patients treated with CHANTIX during all clinical trials. The listing does not include those events already listed in the previous tables or elsewhere in labeling, those events for which a drug cause was remote, those events which were so general as to be uninformative, and those events reported only once which did not have a substantial probability of being acutely life-threatening.

5 comments:

Homestead Blogging said...

yeah, I've read those before. I guess like any other medication, Chantix can effect some people differently than others. Myself, I don't have any effects from it.

Your pain episode sounds sort of like when I had a lung collapse out of nowhere a few years ago. My other symptoms were knife like pain in the shoulder, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, unproductive cough, and laying on the back cut off my breathing. All of this woke me up at 1:30 in the morning and I thought I was having a heart attack. Scarey.

Everyone says be patient while your body heals itself. It's just a short while compared to the rest of your life.

Hang in there Chris! You're doing great!

MsTekLady said...

Just when you're getting over the sinus thing...now this! Hopefully, like Sue said, maybe your body just needs time to heal.

I read that doctors information on the Pfizer site too, before I started Chantix, so I'm aware of those possibilities. So far, I've only had the allergy/sinus problems that I've blogged about... and thanks to my bag of meds, I'm finally starting to feel better! I have not felt anything as bad as you describe...it sounds awful and I really hope I don't have THAT to look forward to! :-(

Maybe you should see your doctor. But then, folks sometimes accuse me of wanting to go to my doctor for a hang-nail. LOL! Whatever! I'd rather be safe than sorry!

Hang in there, Chris. Hope you feel better soon!

Chris said...

Thanks Sue and MsTek. Today is a little better. It's probably nothing.

Anonymous said...

I'm late commenting - been busy playing, but do keep an eye on stuff, and do talk to your doc just to be sure. It's so hard to tell what's from quitting, what's from Chantix and what's just happening all on its own.

Anonymous said...

I quit for 4 months and had all kinds of things wrong with me...and I know it wasnt the chantix because it was after I was done taking Chantix. Never Just stop taking that medication. Its best to weem yourself off it. Its much better that waY1