Friday, September 14, 2007

Day 24, Two Weeks Smoke Free

Two whole weeks smoke free already - where does the time go? I am pleased to report that it has been much easier than I imagined and given that I have faith I will succeed. According to the little meter on the GetQuit site I have saved $105.00. Not bad. I still check in daily with the program and occasionally do the activity. Between that, attempting to post daily here, and follow the progress of other quitters I am regularly reminded of my goal. Many thanks to all those who have chimed in with support and encouragement.

So last night, between curious Chantix dreams, I realized something. Lately I had been reminiscing about and somewhat romanticizing smoking. I realized that although I thought cigarettes were a close, constant, reliable companion I was in fact a freaking drug addict. A (partially) socially acceptable addict but a damn drug addict none the less. Really! Who wants to be a drug addict? Cigarettes did not make me attractive or desirable or calm my nerves or relax me or any number of other reasons we thought we smoked. They owned me and I paid for the "privilege" with money and my health. Jeez!

4 comments:

MsTekLady said...

Yep, smokers are DRUG ADDICTS!!! We are recovering addicts! I posted before that the only difference between cigarette addicts and cocaine/heroin/meth/crack addicts is that our drug of choice, cigarettes, are LEGAL while the other drugs are not! So imho, in terms of addiction, we are no better than any other drug addict. Sad, but true! The day I realized that and accepted it as the truth was a turning point in my life. As they say in 12-step programs, the first step is to admit you have a problem.

Anonymous said...

So well put, Chris! Yes, romanticizing happens, but the realization that addicted smokers are, in fact, addicts is the other and truer side of that coin.

You are doing great. Keep going!

Homestead Blogging said...

Hi, my name is Sue and I am a nicotine addict. lol Don't mind me, I've always wanted to say that.

Actually, that is the main reason that drove me to quit. I didn't want to be an addict of anything. The ball and chain was getting heavy.

Keep up the good work Chris! You're right behind me.

Anonymous said...

Excellent post and great blog! I too am on Day 24 of Chantix and I have read your blog for inspriation. Thank you!