Thursday, November 8, 2007

Day 79, Thursday is "Ugly Betty" Night

I decided to make Wednesdays "movie night" to help get through the cold gloom of winter. Routine comforts me so having that to look forward to should help. Yesterdays selection was Drugstore Cowboy a critically acclaimed film which I forgot how much I enjoyed in the past. There are a few parallels for me personally, too. One, it was set and at least partially filmed in and around Portland Oregon where I will be enjoying an all too brief weekend next month. (Very excited about that.) In fact, I understand the hotel I will be staying in was used as a location for the film. The subject matter is not for everyone, though. It deals with addiction, something I realized about myself back on Day 24

I realized that although I thought cigarettes were a close, constant, reliable companion I was in fact a freaking drug addict. A (partially) socially acceptable addict but a damn drug addict none the less. Really! Who wants to be a drug addict? Cigarettes did not make me attractive or desirable or calm my nerves or relax me or any number of other reasons we thought we smoked. They owned me and I paid for the "privilege" with money and my health.

I also really enjoyed the Great American Raconteur William S. Burroughs who plays a small role, rather a caricature of himself. Still, you gotta love "Old Bull Lee." In his honor I think I'll watch Naked Lunch next week.


Thanks to Chantix I am sixty nine days smoke free and $518.00 saved one day at a time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy having familiar routines, too. And I'm glad it's Betty Night! I truly think it's one of the best shows on TV.

Smokers as real addicts? Yep. Me, too.

Portland rocks. You will have a blast.