Saturday, August 25, 2007

Day 4, The Weekend Is Here

Yesterday I was one over my goal of twelve cigarettes. I've been trying to cut out two a day leading to my quit date of Thursday August 30. It being Friday I headed to the local watering hole for Happy Hour after work, It's a locals place filled with friendly faces and supportive people. This would be a challenge so I left the pack at home. I broke down and bummed one during my two hour stay which I think is pretty good considering.

Today is double up day, increasing the dose from one half to one milligram. I don't believe there is enough in my system to have a serious effect so I am already pleased with the reduction I have managed. The pharmacy slapped one of those little warning stickers that it might cause drowsiness. I have felt a little more lethargic than normal but that could be any number of things including the power of suggestion. Otherwise so far I have not noticed any side effects.

I think the weekend will be a bit of a challenge as I am not stuck behind a desk for the majority of the day. Typically I have an aggressive to do list and end up achieving only a fraction of the items. This weekend I am focusing on projects to reinforce the quit. From the mundane like cleaning and cutting up carrot and celery stick to munch on while sitting in front of the television to checking out a couple of the local gyms. (I'm terrible about eating vegetables and I don't get enough exercise.) I have a vision of a happier, healthier, cleaner life without cigarettes. Time will tell if I have the will to make it happen.

The quitting community continues to surprise and inspire me. I have barely started and already others have reached out with words of encouragement. Thank you all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you for planning some productive tasks for the weekend. It's true that many of us have more trouble on the weekend, but we still keep pulling through anyway!

Sherri said...

Hang in there Chris! Weekends started out difficult for me, too. That and driving in the car. Find things to refocus when the urge hits. It's great that you started cutting back before your quit date. I really didn't make a conscious effort to do that. But my quit date wound up being like day 15 instead of day 8. Now I'm over a full month!

MsTekLady said...

Hey Chris, you're doing well, sounds like you're right on track! Keep it up! Today is Day 8, my Quit Day...no cigs in over 16 hours!!! It does help to have projects to keep you busy, especially on the weekend. All week, I've been planing projects and little tasks for today, and I've managed to keep busy and NOT think about cigarettes at all. So far so good! Hang in there!