Saturday, January 5, 2008

Day 137, Reflections...

In early December I took the first train trip of my life. It was something I never thought I could do as I lamented on day 63. You see, the train is non-smoking and I did not know how often one could depart for a quicky. I discovered such opportunities are rare indeed. In fact once I boarded in Emeryville California the first and only chance before my Portland destination was in Eugene Oregon. That's like 12 hours! I would have either died or killed some poor soul!

Neither happened and I enjoyed the trip. I splurged a little and booked a "sleeperette" which is a cozy (read teeny tiny) private room for sleeping and and lounging. Here you can see my duffel and the much needed glass of wine after the long day and a near midnight departure.

Of all the sights I most enjoyed the passage through an unknown mountain range. (I was given conflicting information whether it was the Cascades.) There were moments that were breathtaking. Although these photo's do no justice I hope you can imagine the scenes.





Next stop - the Great City of Portland!

3 comments:

MamaFlo said...

Beauty like that takes my breath away (so much better than cigarettes taking my breath away).
Congratulations on taking a trip without your crutch!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Chris, really, really gorgeous pictures! I'm thrilled for you and still thrilled we got to meet up, too. This is the good stuff of life, I think.

Author said...

Gorgeous pics! I used to link airports and plane travel with trepidation, but next time I travel, I know I'll enjoy it a lot more as a non-smoker. Congrats to you!