Saturday, January 12, 2008

Day 144, Reflections Part II

Upon arrival in Portland I wandered around the train station a minute trying to get my bearings. Tired and hungry, I elected to cab it to the hotel. I wanted three things: a shower, a meal and a cocktail. In no time I satisfied all three and was blissfully asleep in a comfy, warm bed reflecting on my first night. I had an amazing dinner and met some very nice, friendly people who showed me a fine time out on the town.

The next day Maggie gave me the grand tour of Portland. (Thanks again!) We took the Streetcar all around town and stopped to take the Ariel Tram. Unfortunately it was closed so we hopped on the next car and headed back downtown, through the Pearl District and on the NW 23rd Avenue. It's a really neat neighborhood with lot's of little shops, restaurants, and pubs. We had a good time wandering around and enjoying the nice albeit chilly day. Unfortunately yours truly forgot the camera, Doh! Why don't all cities have such clean, simple and efficient public transportation?

Prior to departure on Monday I did return to the Tram and despite a fear of heights rode the monstrosity to the top of the hill and back. It was gray and overcast but here are a couple of shots:



Today marks one hundred and thirty four days quit and a whopping $1,005.00 saved.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome, awesome! I had a blast meeting you and hanging out (even if you had to have been freezing!), and I'm so glad that you did do the tram. And more congrats on more days not smoking and money saved. All good stuff.

MamaFlo said...

Keep it up Chris, you are living life without a cigarette and enjoying it - amazing isn't it?!

Congratulations again on another day without smoking!!!

Author said...

Oh my goodness! I sure couldn't ride that tram! I think being in that thing would spark one heck of a nicotine craving ... props to you for staying smoke free!